Saturday, May 17, 2014

Microsoft's tablet



The Good

Microsoft should capture a sizable market for business users if they market the product Surface right. They provide Word Office, a browser compatible with Internet Explorer (IE) and storage via Cloud.  Built-in disk storage may not require Cloud for storage, but it would drain the battery and take long time to boot if it is from disk (the new version of Windows greatly reduces the boot time).

Most of my investment software requires IE and all of my investment spreadsheets use Office’s Excel. It will be a good tablet for business folks especially for travelling.

I do not believe I'll use it during my vacation but it will be a handy tool to many. We will see how Office is implemented in the tablet, the energy consumption using the Intel chips and the prices. It will be appealing if you can run the business software in your tablet and your office PC.

Migrating current business applications to the tablet is a good such as the laptop applications my doctors are using.

As long as it is not losing money, it would be a win especially for the lazy Microsoft’s management with no innovation for a long while. You cannot sit on the cash influx from Windows and Office forever. Wake up from your afternoon sleep and dream on how to spend your bonuses in your fancy offices and do something even it will not always be safe.

The Bad

Surface will not be replaced as a consumer product as iPads are years away with growing apps. The new version of Windows has a lot of nice features. It is very buggy as of 3-2013. I hope they have a specific version for tablet.

My thoughts

When Surface was announced, it was a non-event. The first article on Surface at Seeking Alpha, a website for investors, appeared very late. There was not much publicity as opposed to folks lining up for Apple's products. As a stock owner, I hope it will change. 

Microsoft should not compete with iPad directly with the RT. The Pro is ideal for business folks with Office and Internet Explorer installed with full functions. I predict the Surface Pro will be the winner and RT will fade. Personally I plug in my electric outlet automatically on my laptop so I will not be disturbed while working. The battery life will not be a concern to me and I expect the newer chips from Intel will resolve this problem.


Afterthoughts

More on Microsoft.
http://ebmyth.blogspot.com/2013/11/more-on-microsot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment